So I had the plan to document my journey to vegetarianism (no meat, eggs, or fish)... however because I become properly medicated for my ADHD around the same time I made the dietary switch. I have been able to focus on doing things like cleaning the house, and taking the kids out, and being responsible.  I haven't been goofing around quite as much, it kind of sucks, but I am getting things done and don't feel like a failure! SO basically, my goofy project has taken a bit of a back seat.

Back to the project.  I wanted to explain further my reasons for becoming a vegetarian; because people seem a little confused when they find out, and I haven't explained myself  very well as of yet. And then I wanted to show people how easy replacing meat is, and how yummy it can be!

The decision to become vegetarian has been brewing for a while; and it multifaceted.  The first and main reason why I needed to make the switch was because of my guilt and sympathy for the animals who were being butchered for my consumption.  I strongly believe that I am part of something bigger than myself.  I believe that I was created for a purpose, as was everything else... and because of that I am just as important as the trees, the air, the animals, the bugs, etc; and they are just as important as I am.  I feel validated in this though because of the delicate balance of nature; and how every piece of the puzzle affects the rest.

The next reason was because of principle I try very hard to adhere to my life, a principle of non-violence.  If I can kill, or have someone kill for me, because of a need, or a want I have; what keeps me from killing or having someone killed for any number of wants or needs?!  I am very, very, very against violence. I don't want anyone to kill or be killed on my account.  That include war, prisoners, animals...etc.  I don't believe under any circumstance it is right to kill. I feel there is always another option, other than violence. That's just what I believe. I should make a quick disclaimer, that I don't think less of anyone who doesn't share my opinions of the worlds... "your" views are just as important as my own.

That brings me to the third reason.  Animals experience emotion, they have relationships. They are sometimes different than Human relationships, but they are real none the less!  Think of Bears, How aggressive is a mother bear in defending her cubs? Have you seen your pet dogs or cats form relationships? And then how do the act when their family dies? How about the animals who mate for life? And how about fear, do you think an animal can't fear for it's life or it's offspring? I can't stand the thought of eating someone's brother, or daughter.  And the terrible conditions most of these animals live in before the are killed for our consumption! It makes me literally feel sick, to think about these things. And I am tired of distancing myself from these feelings, numbing myself from the guilt of being part of it!

Then finally, the health reasons. There are so many studies and articles about how bad red meat is for the body. And a well balanced vegetarian-vegan diet, with out foods full of preservatives and chemicals; is one of the healthiest diets out there.  I want my children to have that heath, and good eating habits while they are young!

So on to the food!!! We have had a lot of fun experimenting this week.  The first thing I did after making the switch was to go to the store and stock up on alternative proteins!!! Beans, and tofu.  Some people get really turned off by those two foods. And I really do not understand why? Beans have so much good protein in them, and they are beautiful, and really leave you feeling full and satisfied for longer than big piece of meat!
700_5836-Edit copy copy

After buying the beans, i put them all in glass jars, and let the kids see the different types of beans there were. Liala was really into exploring all the colors and names and interesting origins of the different beans.

700_5838-Edit copy copy

You can replace meat with beans in almost any recipe. We have been indulging in Indian recipes this last week.  Let's get to some recipes. 

For breakfast's we have been really focusing on getting our complex carbohydrates, and fiber for the day.  A really easy breakfast for school day's is some home made 10 grain bread, with cashew& macadamia nut butter (no peanut in this butter, but it has that rich nutty flavor), with a light spread of honey on top.
Our other breakfast has been home-made waffles,
1 3/4 cup Flour
1 tbsp Baking powder
2tbsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tbsp salt
2 tbsp egg replacer
6 tbsp Water
1 tbsp Vanilla
1 3/4 cup Milk (I am still using organic, "happy cow" dairy products)
1/2 cup melted butter or vegetable oil.

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and the wet ingredients in a small bowl. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry bowl, mix and start "ironing".

For a spread we have frozen berries, which we add some brown sugar to, and let warm up and "melt" on the stove (in a pot of course), which we add water and corn starch to (about 1cup of water to 1tbsp cornstarch, for super thick results).

For lunches, we mostly have left overs from dinners previous... sometimes a good grilled cheese sandwich or avocado.

Dinner... My favorite dinner so far has been Samosa with a Cilantro and Chili Chutney

 
1 Potato finely diced (5 to 10 mill cubes)
1 cup diced/mushed chick peas
1 carrot finely diced - as above
2 cloves of crushed garlic.
1 Onion finely chopped
1 Cup of frozen peas
1 tblspn vegetable oil
2 tspn curry powder or your own spices according to taste
Salt, Pepper to taste.
100ml of vegetable stock.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic, mix in  the spices and fry until soft. Add the vegetables, seasoning and stir well until coated. Add the stock, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until cooked.
Now it's time for the pastry.

You don't have to make your own pastry (although it is super easy, and really inexpensive!!!). You can simply buy some ready-made pastry from the shop. For samosas you want to fry, use Filo Pastry and for samosas you want to cook in the oven use Puff Pastry.
This recipe will make enough pastry for 24 samosas and you will need:

225gm. plain flour
2 tspn. salt
2tblspb. vegetable oil
80 ml warm water.

Mix flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well into the centre and add the oil and enough water to make a firm dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and roll into a ball. Cover in plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Divide the pastry into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and roll out into a circle of 15 cm. Divide this circle into two equal pieces with a knife.

Brush each edge with a little water and form a cone shape around your fingers, sealing the dampened edge.
Fill the cases with a tblpns of your chosen mixture and press the two dampened edges together to seal the top of the cone.



Deep fry the samosas in hot oil until crisp and brown take out and drain on a paper towel.

Chuttney



1/2cup green onions, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
1to 2 hot green chili peppers,* seeded and coarsely chopped
2tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
2cloves garlic, peeled
1cup packed cilantro leaves
2tablespoons vegetable oil
2tablespoons lime juice
1teaspoon salt
1teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Drop green onions, chilies, ginger and garlic through feed tube of food processor with motor running. Stop machine and add cilantro, oil, lime juice, salt, sugar and cumin; process until cilantro is finely chopped.

Alright, enough of that... Here are some pictures of an outing I took Elsa and Kjellsen on.
700_5835-Edit copy copy700_5833-Edit copy copy700_5832-Edit copy copy700_5829-Edit copy copy

2 comments:

April said...

I think it's really admirable of you to follow what you believe, study it out and then to live that way. I agree too that you are teaching your children healthy options...good for you!!

By the way you never called me up when you went to the park with the kids, what's with that?!!
April

Jessica Jackson said...

Thank you... and sorry! I was going to chicken out of going, and then changed my mind last minute. I will call you before we go this week!