Skewl...

So the kids have been going to "school with Danielle. It is more like tutoring, but Liala is more interested in going to school... and I don't think it will cause any detriment to appease her.

DSC_9701
DSC_9693

Anyways. Liala is learning to match Mommy and baby letters, letter sounds, reading comprehension, number values, art, and abstract thought. Kjellsen is getting help with words, he is delayed or just stubborn and hasn't felt like talking too much lately. His comprehension is stellar, but articulating his needs and thoughts doesn't seem to come as naturally. So he sits at the table and plays with play dough for his two hours, and Danielle shows him pictures and objects and they work on words.

I am always very wary about what and how we teach our children. The school systems are incredibly left brained and do not nurture abstract thought and complex problem solving. And as an artist and my quest for seeing the world in a different way I only wonder what my perception would have been if left to problem solve and develop in a more organic than structured way. For example, I always talk about Picasso and cubism when trying to communicate my artistic goals. But when you think about it, Picasso was far from the first cubist! have you ever seen the way a child draws a room? It is not always the case, but many times they draw it from varying perspectives (cubism!!!). So if no one told me that I need to think right to left, see from only one angle, write my letter with downward strokes, what would be different now?!

However, I am not exactly willing to "experiment" in my children. I do experiment in a couple ventures; I let my kids tell amazing make-believe stories, I never EVER tell them to color with in the lines ( I want them to interpret their own images), and I refuse to dumb down complex ideas/subjects. I hope that I am setting them up to think differently and make great changes and improvements to this world! On the other side, I hope that they forgive me for making things more difficult!

- Jess

No comments: