
As many know the kids have been sickly for a little while. Colds. And Elsa started to sniffle and cough a bit ago. I got her into the doctors on Tuesday (they canceled our Monday appointment), and we ran around for several hours going to the doctors, labs and getting x-rays. Which had me near tears because I left the house with out any strollers or 'leash' or baby bjorn. So I was carrying Kjell and Elsa in and out of buildings, and trying to keep Liala focused on following me instead of the other kids who were all around. When we got home I wanted to crash. No such luck. We had to go to the store for juice! (I waited until Kjeld was back). Then came home, had a lovely dinner. And a little after that, Elsa started coughing A LOT. Kjeld got the kids to bed. But Elsa was having trouble breathing, and her lips were turning blue while she was having the coughing fits. So it was off to the hospital.
They saw us right away (that is a first in our ER experiences). And because the lab we had done earlier was at the hospital, they were able to pull up the results for that. Elsa had RSV. RSV presents it self as a bad cold, in adults and older children. However it becomes very dangerous for the very young, and the very old, because the body has to work so hard to breath... then the heart has to work extra hard to supply less oxygenated blood to the rest of the body... and so babies get very tired and will simply stop breathing. Elsa was admitted to the hosptial pretty fast, because of her symptoms and positive test. They hooked her up to some monitoring machines, and determined she would need oxygen and an IV (she was looking pretty dehydrated).
The nurses were great! They were super fast and efficient with taking care of my baby. They were awesome with suctioning out her nose, making it easier for her to breath. And adjusting the oxygen levels, and making sure her body was getting a good rest so that she wouldn't get to the too tired to breath 'part'.
Kjeld and the kids were with us in the ER and went with us to the room where we were to stay. But he and the kids couldn't stick around because of all the other sick kids who were there. Those kids didn't need extra germs and neither did my kids! So Kjeld, reluctantly, took the kids home. Where he got very little sleep. The next day he and the kids came by to say hello and see how things were going. And then Kjeld took the kids down to grandmas! So they could have some fun while mommy and daddy were 'distracted'.
Kjeld came back that night, and we smooshed our selves into a twin "bed", for the night.
Elsa got a little worse, and then got a lot better. Not long after a Blessing given by Kjeld, in the middle of the night, Elsa started doing a lot better. She didn't need suctioning as often. He blood oxygen levels were staying in the 90% range. And she was eating, and keeping everything down!
Elsa was given the "OK" to go home today (day three). The doctor determined she was on the mend and shouldn't be getting any worse.
Here are some pictures. Kjeld brought me the camera the morning after we were admitted... so I would have something to do! We had a great view from the room we were in so, It was a great distraction.
Thank you everyone for your well wishes and help! Sorry to those who we didn't get in contact with... We've been "Distracted"! ha-ha.





Kjeld still passed out on the little bed

She was trying to focus her eyes... but they just went crossed!

She was trying to focus her eyes... but they just went crossed!











4 comments:
Poor baby! (and mom and dad!!) Glad to hear she is doing better...RSV is so scary in little tiny ones.
Oh man, I'm sorry that doesn't sound like any fun at all. I am glad to hear that she is on the mend, hopefully you are getting some rest too!
Oh...that is horrible!!! There isn't anything worse than watching your kids get sick, it is such a helpless feeling.
I feel horrible,I've had the impressionj to call you the last few days and didn't because I figured your in laws were helping. I should have followed the Spirit. Call me anytime you need to.
April
scary experience! Glad she's on the mend!!!
Post a Comment